13 November 2012

Reflection on Learning : ES 2007S

Dear Reader,

If you are reading this, I would have already completed the bulk of my work for ES 2007S. Yes, I know it sounds as if I were dead; but sadly, no I am pretty much alive. I can very much summarize the entire course with six words:

"It has been quite a ride."

From the theories of communication to communicating itself, there are many learning points to take away. The ride was not exactly smooth at the beginning of the journey, considering the background that I had, but I guess everything went just fine. I was not exactly sure if the class wanted additional information regarding the outside world at first, so I decided to share it, hoping that it would benefit the class in some way or another. I was being active then, not because I wanted to boast about what I had achieved, but because the knowledge I had would benefit other students.

As the curriculum progressed towards written communication, I had met up with one of my friends from CELC. If I had not scrutinized the hierarchy chart on the notice board on that very day, I would not have known that my friend held such a position at CELC! Regardless, we were merely catching up with one another, of which we may have chanced upon certain topics of improvement with regards to CELC modules.

This was probably the turning point for me? Things started getting a little quieter after a certain presentation on communication styles between different generations. I realized that this was not the class that I could fit into. I was questioning myself, was I any different from anyone else in that room? The presentation did indeed clear my doubts on why I was taking this module, but is this the communication style of tomorrow? Change takes time, but if change is the only constant, why are we not changing ourselves? Would we not learn more if we change for tomorrow? I ponder still.

Dear reader, do you understand the definition of augmentation? How about that of culture? Inter-cultural communication was covered a couple of weeks back. Is it really just about the analysis of the culture between various groups of people? Is it really about differentiating ourselves and adapting to one another? If that is the case, may I share this quote with you?

"When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind."

-- J. Krishnamurti

Dear reader, do you not see why I am writing all this now? The problem does not lie with the system of communication, it lies in us humans. The more we separate ourselves to create an identity, the greater the need for us to understand one another to prevent violence from breaking out. But why go through all that trouble when we can all be the same and live in harmony? I wonder still.

Let us move on to peer teaching. It was probably one of the best ways to learn more about a certain topic in the classroom setting, yet also the best way for students to zone out if they were not presenting. I initially offered a whole truck load of feedback for other students, but was being the Simon Cowell (American Idol Judge) of the class really necessary? I was unsure if everyone would take feedback positively, so I started being more passive in giving feedback - this also applies for certain questions that I would ask in class or for the oral presentations.

Dear reader, do you understand now? The problems that I face? I was just wondering, how many students in class actually treat the research project as an actual project that may be implemented in future. Or would they think otherwise and see it as "merely another college project to be submitted"? I am not criticizing on the rest of the projects, I am just curious - are students actually wasting their time in college when they can start contributing to the society? I do not have answers. I want answers, and perhaps feedback as well.

Dear reader, are you convinced that I had "quite a ride" for this module? I remain perplexed with this predicament. I understand that this is merely a level 2000 module, but I am sure I am not the only person capable of higher-order thinking, perhaps you could help me by taking this discussion further?

I have learned much from this module. I understood that change starts from within, and that people do not change not because they do not realize the benefits of change, but because they fear their losses incurred for the change. With that said, the future is at stake, I can be the change, how about you?

Regards,
Joey Wang

P.S. I have not learnt much with regards to professional communication because I had to learn the ropes before my journey as an entrepreneur. Honestly, no one is able to tolerate an entrepreneur who communicates poorly. If I were to be successful, I had to learn the necessary techniques before venturing out. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joey, regarding the inter-cultural communication I personally believe: unity in diversity (bhinneka tunggal ika). The richness in culture, religions, and tradition is something that is uniquely human. All of us are equal, but not similar. I think rather than eliminating the diversity and identity (being ignorant), we should embrace the differences, learn other cultures, while being firm in our identity while having a respect to the others based on mutual understanding (being tolerant).

    The paradox about J. Krishnamurti's argument is that he becomes the most violent one: unable to accept his identity and others', he is creating his own identity by separating from his own group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so totally agree with you Ivan. Besides I'm familiar with Krishnamurthi's work and he's not talking about not accepting or embracing our differences but rather about not highlighting them at the expense of recognising and understanding our similarities as a human race.

      Delete